most common colour of tourmaline is a dark green, but it also
comes in bright green, blue, red, pink, orange, yellow, colourless,
brown, violet and black. A strong colour pink tourmaline is
sometimes called rubelite. Tourmaline also comes in mixed colours
within one stone, which can consist of many different varieties
of colour.Scientifically, tourmaline is not a single mineral,
but a group of minerals related in physical and chemical properties.
Tourmaline exhibits the interesting electrical properties of
pyroelectricity and piezoelectricity. When heated or rubbed,
it attracts dust and dirt particles. This is caused by its atomic
structure, which causes it to generate an electrical charge
when heated or rubbed.
Tourmaline helps increase flexibility, objectivity, compassion,
happiness and serenity. It is a stone that is very helpful for
channeling and enhances tolerance and understanding. Tourmaline
is also know to be a very protecting stone. Tourmaline is often
associated with the heart chakra, particularly watermelon tourmaline,
where it opens one to accept love.
Green Tourmaline Meanings & Qualities
- Green tourmaline is said to calm fears.
- Green tourmaline can help bring the joy of living.
- Green tourmaline helps with creativity.
- Green tourmaline opens heart chakra.
- Green tourmaline aids the immune system.
- Green tourmaline can help with psychological problems with
- Green tourmaline is good for blood pressure.
- Green tourmaline can help with asthma.
- Green tourmaline can help eliminate conflict within.
- Green tourmaline promotes male balance.
- Green tourmaline increases flexibility.
- Green tourmaline increases happiness.
- Green tourmaline aids objectivity.
- Green tourmaline aids compassion and serenity.
- Green tourmaline enhances tolerance and understanding.
- Green tourmaline is a good protecting stone.
Tourmaline Meanings & Qualities
- Pink tourmaline is said to strengthen wisdom.
- Pink tourmaline helps with empathy.
- Pink tourmaline aids compassion.
- Pink tourmaline helps with will-power.
- Pink tourmaline aids creativity.
- Pink tourmaline helps with fertility.
- Pink tourmaline balances a passive or aggressive nature.
- Pink tourmaline is believed to bring personal strength,
endurance and stamina.
- Pink tourmaline promotes female balance and protection.
Black Tourmaline Meanings & Qualities
- Black tourmaline helps arthritis.
- Black tourmaline aids dyslexia.
- Black tourmaline helps with syphilis.
- Black tourmaline aids heart diseases.
- Black tourmaline can help with anxiety.
- Black tourmaline is good for disorientation.
- Black tourmaline raises altruism.
- Black tourmaline deflects negativity.
- Black tourmaline neutralizes distorted energies, i.e. resentment
Blue Tourmaline Meanings & Qualities
- Blue tourmaline helps the lungs.
- Blue tourmaline helps the larynx.
- Blue tourmaline helps the thyroid.
- Blue tourmaline helps parasympathetic nerves.
- Blue tourmaline is said to aid self expression.
Brown Tourmaline Meanings & Qualities
- Brown Tourmaline is believed to help dispel old fears and
Watermelon Tourmaline Meanings & Qualities
- Watermelon tourmaline connects with the heart chakra.
- Watermelon tourmaline imparts sense of humour to those who
- Watermelon tourmaline is a good balancer.
- Watermelon tourmaline helps eliminate guilt.
- Watermelon tourmaline aids the nervous system.
- Watermelon tourmaline is good for integration.
- Watermelon tourmaline is good for security.
- Watermelon tourmaline helps self-containment.
Different Names Given to Tourmalines:
- Elbaite - green variety of tourmaline (may also refer to
- Indicolite or Indigolite - light to dark blue or blue-green
- Rubellite - red tourmaline.
- Bicolour or tricolour tourmaline - multiple colours (prized
when the colours are divided and vivid).
- Watermelon tourmaline - red centre, surrounded by green
(resembling the cross section of a watermelon).
- Schorl - black tourmaline.
- Dravite - brown tourmaline.
- Chrome tourmaline - vivid green (appears red when viewed
through a Chelsea filter (emerald filter).
- Achroite - colourless tourmaline.
- Verdelite - name rarely used to describe green tourmaline.
- Siberite - purple variety of tourmaline.
- Paraiba tourmaline - neon-blue variety of tourmaline.
Some fake names that have been given to varieties of tourmaline
to make them seem more expensive, they include:
Siberian ruby - false name given to red tourmaline.
Brazilian Sapphire - false name given to blue
tourmaline (as well as blue topaz).
Emeraldite - false name given to green tourmaline.